Facts about homelessness in the Mankato community
- Children and youth 21 & under make up half of the homeless population in Minnesota. (Wilder)
- 14,000 individuals live at or below the poverty level in Blue Earth and Nicollet Counties. (US Census Bureau)
- About 1 in 10 homeless adults have served in the military. 2/3 of them served more than 2 years for our country and 26% served in combat zones. (Wilder)
- In Mankato, 36% of renters pay more than 50% of their income on housing. 16% of renters pay more than 30% of their income on housing. Blue Earth and Nicollet Counties rank as the worst in the state of Minnesota for cost burdened renters. (JCHS Harvard University & MN Housing Partnership)
- Homelessness in Minnesota rose 25% from 2006-2009. It jumped again by 6% from 2009-2012. (Wilder)
- Each night, 11 families are provided shelter at the Theresa House and Welcome Inn.
- In the past year, PAH has provided shelter to over 9,200 bed space/nights to members within our community.
- Last year in Mankato, 1,015 individuals sought out emergency shelter. 47% were children under the age 18.
Total Views: 203 ,